Sept. 6/21 Update - Grasslands and New Health Measures
Dear Parents/Guardians and Staff,
On Friday, September 3, 2021 the Alberta Government updated the health and safety guidelines for all Albertans to address the increasing cases of COVID-19 in our communities. These measures came into effect on September 4th.
Grasslands Public School Board of Trustees and senior administration have reviewed the new guidelines as they apply to both school and non-school environments, and have updated a number of our protocols and procedures. Please see below.
- Mask use for staff and students in Grasslands schools is not mandatory, and will continue to be highly encouraged and supported.
- Masks continue to be mandatory for ALL students while riding the school bus.
- Masks are mandatory for ALL visitors, including parents, who enter Grasslands schools and Division Office as they are entering an indoor public space.
- Masks are mandatory at Division Office and in all departments, except when staff are in workstations or workspaces.
- All Grasslands staff visiting a school must also wear a mask. In situations where student supports, parent and staff interactions require masks to be removed, social distancing and/or plexiglass barriers should be employed.
- Before and after school extra-curricular/sports events that occur indoors will be considered an extension of school activities for staff and students, and masks are voluntary. For ALL others in attendance masks are mandatory (spectators, community coaches, referees, etc.).
- A medical mask exception letter, from an authorized health professional, will be required for those seeking a medical exemption as per Government of Alberta guidelines.
Social Gathering Restrictions
- Visitors to schools will continue to be limited.
- Parents may continue to access the school office, attend meetings, return or sign forms or other tasks. Parents must wear a mask during their time in the school.
- Indoor public events that involve social gatherings of parents such as a Welcome Back BBQ or Meet the Teacher Night will continue to be postponed or done virtually.
- Outdoor public events may continue, but attendees must comply with provincial health restrictions.
- Large gatherings of students including assemblies continue not to be allowed and are to be held virtually.
- It is very important for students and staff to continue with the daily self-screening, and remain home when sick as per the Alberta Health guidelines.
- Absenteeism continues to be closely monitored. Local school circumstances involving school absenteeism over 10% will trigger a consultation with Alberta Health. That consultation may result in mandatory mask use in that school. The duration and extent of mandatory mask use or other recommended measures will be determined based on that local school context and parents will be informed immediately.
- As per the Grasslands Return to School Plan, a variety of other health and safety measures continue to be in place. Please review this plan for regular updates.
Grasslands may provide more guidance in the future (including possible further direction by the Alberta Government) as changes or more information is available.